Official Wikipedia App for Android. Wikipedia is the free encyclopedia containing more than 32 million articles in 280 languages, and is the most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled.
- Tabbed browsing: pressing-and-holding a link lets you open it in a new tab, allowing you to keep reading the current article without losing your place, and switch to the new tab when you're ready.
- Link previews: Tapping on a link shows a preview of the linked article, giving you a chance to get the gist of the link without losing your place in the article you're reading.
- Lead images: experience Wikipedia like never before with a prominent, contextually-relevant image and description at the top of articles
- Image gallery: tapping on an image shows you the image full-screen in high resolution, with options to swipe left/right for browsing additional images
- Descriptions from Wikidata: when searching, each search result now contains a quick description that helps to contextualize the result. These descriptions are also shown in other areas of the app, like Nearby
- Definitions from Wiktionary: tap-and-hold to highlight a word while reading an article, and tap the "Define" button to see a definition of the word from Wiktionary.
- Article suggestions: scroll to the bottom of an article to see suggestions about what you could read next
- Saved pages: save select pages for offline reading and browse them even when you don't have a data connection
- Nearby: learn more about what's around you by getting links to articles about things that are near your current location
- Language support: seamlessly switch to reading Wikipedia written in any language, either by changing the language of the current article, or changing your preferred search language while searching.
- Table of contents: swipe left on any article to bring up the table of contents, which lets you jump to article sections easily
- Wikipedia Zero: data charges waived for participating mobile operators
Send us your feedback about the app! In the menu, press "More", then "About the Wikipedia app", then "Send app feedback".
The code is 100% open source. If you have experience with Java and the Android SDK, then we look forward to your contributions! https://github.com/wikimedia/apps-android-wikipedia
By using this app, you agree to the automatic transmission of crash reports to a third-party service provider. If you would like to disable this feature, please press "Settings", then toggle off "Send crash reports" under the General section.
Explanation of permissions needed by the app: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Android_FAQ#Security_and_Permissions